From the web and news sources:
Herkimer County hopeful of receiving benefits of renewable energy provisions of Obama stimulus package. Observer Dispatch 3/1
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation invites comment on Hounsfield wind farm (Galloo Island) draft environmental impact statement. The project, proposed by Upstate New York Power Corp. of West Seneca, N.Y., would consist of 84 wind turbine generators to produce 252 megawatts or less of electricity, located on Galloo Island approximately 12 miles west of Sackets Harbor. Written comments will be accepted through May 29. The DEC will hold a public hearing May 18 in Hounsfield. NYSDEC 3/5
Morristown seeks additional information to draft wind law. Watertown Daily Times 3/6
NYISO releases Power Trends 2009 report:
The report notes that the bulk power grid is operating reliably and the wholesale electricity markets are attracting resources efficiently. … Yet, Power Trends 2009 reports several foreseeable risks to the economics and reliability of the system, including:
- The impact of the global financial crisis on investment in new resources.
- The short-term dampening of demand for electricity during the current recession may mask the need to address expected future growth.
- The potentially competing effects of new environmental standards and the desire for lower electricity prices.
- The state’s dependence on oil and natural gas to produce electricity, making it vulnerable to fuel price spikes and potentially threatening system reliability.
- An aging fleet of power plants and transmission lines, causing potential environmental, price and reliability concerns. NYISO, 3/2
Town of Prattsburgh does not grant building permit to EcoGen; developer threatens suit. Corning Leader, 3/5
Spain (the country) sets record for contribution of wind to electricity generation mix: 40% at one point. Guardian (UK) 3/6
Filed under: Wind Industry News, Zoning, Siting, Permitting for Wind | Tagged: Almond NY wind, Altona NY wind, Galloo Island NY wind, Herkimer County NY wind, Hounsfield NY wind, Morristown NY wind, NYISO power trends 2009\, Spain wind, wind turbine collapse |